Questions to Ask Your Surgeon in a Breast Reduction Consultation
Added on 30th November 2020 in Blog
There can be many reasons why you may opt for a breast reduction procedure; wardrobe difficulties, back pain and poor posture can be some of the main reasons. When you’re looking for the correct practice to have your surgery, you may be wondering where you wish to start. You’ll want to learn as much information as possible about the surgery and what to expect and questions related to this can be easily asked during your breast reduction consultation.
You can schedule these consultations with surgeons that you’re looking to have the surgery with. This helps you to better understand the procedure and what you can expect. If you’re wondering what would be the right questions to ask, we’ve provided a list of useful questions you can ask during your breast reduction consultation.
Questions you can ask about your surgeon
It’s completely understandable to feel nervous about a procedure before you go ahead with it. You’re putting your trust into someone else’s hands to protect your health and ensure that the surgery goes smoothly. This means, for whatever reason you feel that your surgeon isn’t right for you, you have the option to schedule consultations with other surgeons too.
You have every right to question the surgeon about their experience and expertise so you can be confident with going ahead with the procedure. You can even ask them if they have specific expertise in breast reduction. Here are some good questions to ask:
– Are you accredited by Plastic Surgery boards?
– What was your specific speciality during your medical training?
– What’s the total number of breast reduction surgeries that you performed?
– Which cosmetic procedure do you perform the most?
Questions related to your breast reduction procedure
Every procedure is assessed on a patient by patient basis as each individual is different. These assessments will take place during your breast reduction consultation which allows breast reductions to be customisable. They may require different incisions and manipulation with tissue structure depending on the techniques that are used.
During your discussion about the procedure with your surgeon you may hear various terms and techniques advised by your surgeon: vertical or lollipop, inverted T or anchor breast reduction are some approaches to breast reduction. Liposuction can also be an option for patients if your surgeon believes it’s needed during your procedure. Some questions to ask during your breast reduction consultation about your procedure may include:
– Is there anything that I could do before the procedure to ensure it runs smoothly?
– Which medical aids do you use during the surgery?
– How visible will the scars be and where will they be placed?
– Are there before and after photos that I can look at for the technique you’ve suggested?
– Is it possible to see what your results would look like?
Recovering from your breast reduction surgery
One of the biggest worries for patients when it comes to breast reduction surgery is knowing how long it will take to recover and steps that are needed to take. Everyone would want to return to their daily routine as soon as possible so surgeons will advise on the steps you can take to ensure a smoother recovery.
So you can make an informed decision about the procedure, you should make sure that you ask the right questions during your breast reduction consultation so you have enough information. Questions you may want answers for may include:
– How many days should I take off work so I can recover properly?
– What activities should I avoid doing?
– Should I have someone to help during the recovery process?
– Are there pain medications that I can take to help ease the pain?
– What complications should I look out for?
– If I have further questions during my recovery, is there anyone I can contact?
Having a breast reduction consultation at UK Aesthetic
At UK Aesthetic, we dedicate our work to our patients to ensure you’re safe and happy with your results. We’ll provide an open space during your consultation and all we ask is that you’re as honest as possible when it comes to the questions we ask. This will ensure we can conduct the surgery as safe as possible, using the correct techniques and providing positive results. If you’re thinking of having a breast reduction, contact us today to arrange a consultation with us so we can discuss your next steps.Back to Blogs